Saturday, January 5, 2013

Take Me To India

Oh, family reunions: Discovering that while you were in England, your 3-feet-tall cousin was escaping the clutches of a wild boar while on a safari in Africa (good thing his parents enrolled him in sports)...

That kid is more worldly than I am. 

Though I recognize the immaturity of being jealous of a 6 year old, the need for adventure was enough to make me reach for another glass of champagne. I mean, I went from traveling all over Europe for a year to spending half of one in the same town ...Never mind Caribbean islands, I haven't traveled further than my COTTAGE since the summer.

Where are the life-threatening, wild hero-sweeping situations I had dreamed of as a child? If "life is either a great adventure or nothing" (as Helen Keller said) then I have fallen into the nothing. I've become restless.

So this was the point when I declared to everyone: "I'm going to teach English in India."


Ha! Take that, parents. Because, really, while I was dreaming of being an editor for some big-shot company (my dreams have holes, I know, but I was going to find a name for this said company soon) and having a bestseller that would launch me into super-star book-dome, they were under the impression that I would become a teacher... Fine then, I'll teach: In Syberia India

Because, really, what else are you going to do with a Bachelor of Arts and an English Literature major and French Studies minor? they were thinking. 

What back-stabbers. 


....the fact half of my family believed me, however, came as such a surprise that the idea went from an absurdity to a possibility in the span of 3 seconds. The fact my parents (making loud exclamations of mock-protest) were among the non-believers made me think:

If not India, then what the hell am I going to do with my life? 

I am not saying there's anything wrong with being a teachermy mom is a high-school teacher, my dad the principal of my old high-school; the profession is entirely respectable. I just don't want my kids to have to live through those awkward summer teacher-gatherings I lived through, my sister and I hiding in my room while debating the merits (if there were any) of entering the "teacher zone" downstairs to retrieve food. 

No, being a teacher is not OK. What I realised, however, is that it's not the teaching profession itself that's scared me, just the idea that I would turn into my parents. And there's nothing wrong with my parents, I love them, I just don't want to BE them. 

So hence the idea of teaching in India. 

If you could have a job anywhere, anyplace, anytime, what would it be? Because I'm not too sure what mine is anymore. 

4 comments:

  1. I have absolutely no sympathy as regards the travelling- at least you're not still stuck in highschool/the same small town. (Witness the bitterness of the first day back.)

    However, I can definitely sympathise with the professional dilemma, facing the same thing myself. (Not so soon, obviously, but still.) Honestly, that's one of the reasons I'm leaning towards Coop- maybe I'll find some new, hitherto unsuspected, thrilling opportuity!

    ...or maybe we'll have to resort to Plan B: the rich husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, just a little bit of bitter. ;)

      I knowwww! It's just crazy...Hahaha, Plan B is looking pretty good right now. ;)

      Delete
  2. Many an extended family member of mine have gone and taught English abroad, so I know the drill :) It's a really scary prospect on both sides, but imo, it's more than worth it in the end (and if I were a decent teacher I'd definitely do the same).

    I say go for it, if that's what it feels like you're meant to do. I don't think you're in any danger of turning into your parents - from what I can see (read?), you're very creative, independent and unique. All of those things will contribute to being a brilliant *anything* in life.

    And of course, like Z said, if all else fails we can always resort to Plan B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kori, that's so sweet :) Travelling really would be amazing, and I can only imagine how life-changing the experience would be.

      Hahaha, yes, what would we do without Plan B? ;)

      Delete